The 2023 annual international academic conference
held by the Chinese Association of Political Science (CAPS) and the Department of Public Administration and Policy, National Taipei University (NTPU DPAP), are calling for papers!
21-22 October 2023, National Taipei University, New Taipei City
- Conference theme
“Democratic Governance and Transformation in the Era of New Normal, New Political Situation and New Cold War.”
The global political situation has been getting capricious since the Sino-US trade war in 2018, the Covid-19 pandemic outbreaks since 2019, and the Ukrainian-Russian war since 2022. Besides, eye-catching global issues, like climate change, the refugee problem, and high inflation, were lasting worldwide. Meanwhile, the government in Taiwan will usher in the 16th presidential election in 2024. Confronting the rising tension in East Asia and the constantly changing international situation, the new president will have no choice but to face much more multifaceted surroundings than the precedent. The wisdom and ability of the new leader will be tested on how to respond to and resolve the challenges brought by the changes and turn them into opportunities for national development.
Except for the constant global issues, domestic problems also keep rolling. The ramification of global decoupling and severe tensions between cross-strait, low labor productivity, the continued decline in birthrates and growth in aging populations, and the requirement for productive resources were attributed to trade fluctuations and cost augment. Especially, information and fake news were fast-spread out to everyone in society during the digital era. Democratic institutions and developments in Taiwan were under salient pressure.
Generally speaking, taking the challenges of democratic governance into consideration, the topic of the 2023 annual international academic conference held by the Chinese Association of Political Science (CAPS) and the Department of Public Administration and Policy, National Taipei University, entitled “Democratic Governance and Transformation in the Era of New Normal, New Political Situation and New Cold War.”
We, CAPS & NTPU DPAP, sincerely invite international scholars and students to present academic articles, involve in the discussion, and hope to stimulate thinking and idea within academic circles.
For this reason, in addition to encouraging the publication of research on existing topics in political science, this annual meeting pays special attention to the changes and developments of those mentioned above in domestic and foreign situations. We wish to receive academic articles regarding the following issues:
- Comparisons of the international political and economic situation and governance strategies in the Old and New Cold War
- Development of democratic governance in Taiwan
- Crisis, risk, and opportunity of constitutional development in Taiwan
- Issues of energy, climate change, technological transformation, and sustainable political development
- Emerging problems of public administration, policy, and governance
- Emerging issues of the development of civil society (including public value, public interest, and related issues)
- Political Philosophy and the contemporary political philosophy
- Institutional design, actual operation, and theoretical evolution of democracy and elections
- Developments and reflections on topics related to social media, political communication, ethnic politics, and populism
- Studies on comparative government and comparative authoritarian
- Impact of COVID-19 on the international political and economic situation
- Review and prospect of International Relations Theory (and Foreign Policy Theory)
- Global economic and trade changes
- Development and challenges of international regulations and public legal system (including administrative law, regulations related to public affairs, etc.)
- Cross-strait relations and Mainland China studies
- Regional studies (including Asia, Europe, South/North America, Africa, Oceania, Arctic, and Antarctic regions)
- Studies on social science methodology (including research and application of artificial intelligence, machine learning, big data, etc.)
- Self-organized sessions and other topics relative to the subject of the annual conference
- Conference Date ＆ Venue
Date: Saturday, Oct. 21, 2023, to Sunday, Oct. 22, 2023
Venue: College of Public Affairs, National Taipei University, Sanxia Campus
- Key Dates
- Abstract submission deadline: Friday, July 7, 2023
- Abstract acceptance & notification: Friday, Aug. 11, 2023
- Registration & payment deadline: Friday, Aug. 25, 2023
- Full paper submission deadline: Friday, Sept. 29, 2023
- Anyone who wants to present your article at the conference should fill in the form with author information and the abstract and email it to CAPS (firstname.lastname@example.org) before Friday, July 7, 2023. Please entitle your email subject with “Submit Abstract to 2023 CAPS annual international academic conference (your name).” CPAS will announce the abstract acceptance for the presentation on Friday, Aug. 11, 2023, and simultaneously contact participants.
- The full text of the paper should be no more than 12,000 words in English. We accept articles written in either English or Chinese.
- We do set a requirement for formatting; meanwhile, applicants must follow the academic formatting styles in Chinese Political Science Review.
- Information on annual membership fees and Conference registration fees
- Standard membership fees: annual membership fees for teachers (including professor, fellow, and postdoctoral) will be 1,500 NT dollars; yearly membership fees for students (including graduate and undergraduate) will be 750 NT Members of CAPS who participate in the annual conference do not need to pay additional fees, like Conference registration fees. Besides, CAPS will send our members the latest issues (Chinese Political Science Review, one of the influential academic publishments in TW). We look forward to your engagement.
- To ensure the sustainability of CAPS, the quality of the conference, and the qualification of your presentation, people should pay annual membership fees or Conference registration fees before Friday, Aug. 25, 2023. Postpone payment will not be allowed.
- If your paper is with another co-author, please ensure one of the authors pays the Conference registration fees.
- The annual membership fees and Conference registration fees for participants can be paid in the following way:
- online by credit card via the CAPS’ website: 中國政治學會會費繳納系統 (capstaipei.org.tw)
- transfer to CAPS’ bank account (the information as follow will be helpful to you)
Bank: Taipei Fubon Commercial Bank, Kuting Branch
Account Name: Chinese Association of Political Science Chu Chin-peng
Account Number: 8211000-0100047
Participants choosing to transfer to CAPS’ bank account should email the last five numbers of their account to CAPS. You are not complete registration until the assistants of CAPS send you the confirmation letter.
- CAPS will send electronic receipts to participants instead of paper to make eco-friendly earth. If your service requires a paper receipt to reimburse your payment, don’t hesitate to get in touch with CAPS.